Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A new chapter.

Because our Bishop was put into our new Stake Presidency, our ward needed a Bishop.
I can't tell you that it was one grand experience or special moment, but Jake and I both had the feeling that he was going to be called as the Bishop of our ward. 
But obviously we didn't tell each other.
Saying that kind of thing out loud is never a good idea.
It had been several weeks without a Bishop and our ward was buzzing about who would be called.
Meanwhile, our family headed to Rocky Point for our annual fall break vacation.
As we drove Jake and I talked about the new Bishop and it became obvious that we both had similar promptings.
So breaking all rules about saying things out loud I asked, " do you know who you would call as councilors?"
He said yes. He had already felt the Lord let him know who needed to be his councilors.
And for me things got really real. really fast.
I thought maybe I was just imagining all of it.
At least until we got a call in Mexico from the Stake President himself to set up an appointment.
At that point I knew what I felt was from the Lord.
He was kind enough to prepare me for the change.

We went into the Stake presidents office the day after we arrived back in the USA.
I was pulled into a separate room where the 2 councilors asked about our life, asked about our marriage and our children, and then I was asked if I knew of any reason why my husband would not be worthy to receive a calling.
I was able to look into their eyes and with tears let them know that He was a great man who Loved the Lord.
We joined Jake and President Lewis in his office.
We were extended the call to serve as Bishop of the Ray 2nd ward.
I teared up, but unlike the fear of the bishopric calling 8 years before, I just felt peace.
My testimony that the Lord blesses us with far more than we give had been proven over years of experience.
Jake was able to give the names of his councilors right then since the Lord had given him that insight even before a formal calling. Man, the Lord is so good.

We walked home talking about the next 5 years. There would be baptisms, girls camps, scout camps, priesthood ordinations, YW recognition and more that would happen with our children and Jake would be able to have a front row seat in all of it. He may be out of the house more, but for the things of eternal consequence he gets to be a major part. It will all work out.

The Sunday he was sustained and set apart, I had the chance to bear my testimony.
I bore witness that Heavenly Father knows us individually. He knows our struggles and He gives us chances to grow and learn that will bless us with what we need.
I know that this whole "bishop thing" won't be easy, but I can promise that as he is released in a few years that I will cry tears of gratitude for this experience and the blessings that have come.

That very evening, we went to a missionary open house to say farewell to a girl in our ward leaving that week. Jake and I walked in and I was able to sit back and watch the mantle of Bishop at work. He spoke to this sweet girl and her family. He expressed our love, the wards love, and Heavenly Fathers love for them. He gave some council and I just sat in awe. I could feel my heart getting warmer by the spirit. What he was saying wasn't what Jake Willis would usually say. He was the Lords mouthpiece.
As we drove home I cried as I told him about my feelings.
We are going to be just fine.
The Lord is in charge.

I look forward to this adventure and who the Lord can make us in the next 5 years.

No comments: