Friday, December 13, 2013

Tender mercy: Safeway edition


Today after dropping off the "big kids" at school Macy and I headed to Safeway to pick up a few things for 2 different recipes I am making for a party.
We were standing by the dairy case and I was double checking the recipe on my phone.
{while leaning on the cart, of course}
A man walked over to grab an item, so I glanced up and smiled.
Since it is a chilly morning, he was wearing a black jacket and a black beanie.
Macy doesn't ever just glance and smile.
{its physically impossible for her}
So she takes a step or two toward the man and says, "Hi stranger. Are you a ninja?!?!?!"
The man, thinking it impossible for her to have just asked him that question, looks to me for clarification.
Much to my embarrassment, I then confirm to the man that Macy thinks he is a ninja.
Then I chuckle awkwardly since not everyone would think this is a compliment.
{but i don't see why not! Ninjas have skills.}
He luckily chuckles along with me, does a karate chop for Macy… right there in the dairy case… wishes us a great day, and the ninja walks away.
I go the opposite direction giggling at the situations we are often in and things I have to say to people because of that silly Macy.
About 5 minutes later, in a different part of the store, the ninja approaches us carrying a safeway bag.
He hands the bag to Macy.
Inside is a box of Hello Kitty fruit snacks.
That he had just bought for her.
If you know Macy, two of her VERY favorite things are Hello Kitty and fruit snacks.
This box is the exact box of fruit snacks she asks for every time we go down the cereal aisle.
{and I always say no since one box is $3}
Macy smiled so big and I explained to the ninja that this is the perfect thing for her.
Not one other item in the entire store would make her happier.
His response left me speechless.
He said, "I knew I wanted to do something for her since she had just made my day better, so I prayed that God would direct me to something that would let her know that God loves her."
I bore a one line testimony that God is good and He hears and answers prayers.
I thanked him and he walked away.
I had a lump in my throat and I felt tears brimming.

I didn't tear up because of the $3 fruit snacks, we didn't need those, but because they are evidence that  Heavenly Father knows each one of us perfectly.
Even something as trivial and unimportant as a love for a box of character fruit snacks.
He is truly in the details.
His love is perfect.
I am grateful there was a man in the grocery store today that was sensitive enough to the spirit to remind me of this truth.
It is often by small things that Heavenly Father shows His love for us.


3 comments:

Adam and Jess said...

Oh my gosh that is so cute!! Not only was it perfect, but he was willing to admit that he had prayed to ask God to get something perfect. How cool! Macy is SO stinkin cute. Remember the time you had a birthday we didn't celebrate yet? I do:/ I texted Stephanie too last min and unfortunately she was on her way back to Gallup. We need to go out to lunch or something.

Stephanie Evans said...

Um... that was perfection. Seriously, you couldn't make this stuff up better. Your little girl is too cute for words. What a cool story. And props to you for writing it down!

Unknown said...

Oh! What a sweet story! It made me cry and I'm not even preggo! ;)