Monday, January 31, 2011

take that new years resolution!

I did it.
I RAN a half marathon on Saturday.
 I didn't walk.
And
I finished all 13.5 miles.
{without dying}

{Did I mention I was cursing myself in my head around mile 9}
cuz i was.

I won't lie.
It was tough stuff.
I have a squishy, swollen knee and blisters to prove it.


Before
me, Sharrell, and Shannon
{two of my morning run buddies}


After

I had my cell tucked into my sports bra as I ran.
My body was screaming at me after mile 8.
I had been running with my sister in law ,emily, until then, but she is speedy and I had to slow my roll.
So, I decided to text Jake and tell him that I was tired...and bored.
{alot of empty farm land to think about the burning knees and blisters}
He sent me back a video of my kiddos screaming "go mom! go mom!"

cutest motivation I have ever seen!

I did get a second wind around mile 10.
And finished without a problem.

But I learned alot about myself during the hardest parts.
I am stronger than I think.
I can keep going even when I have had enough.
and
I give really amazing silent lectures in my head.

All in all, I may run another 1/2 marathon in the future, but as for the 26 plus miles full marathon.
NEVER.
I am not THAT great at silent lectures.

9 comments:

Adam and Jess said...

Go Jenni!!!! I'm so proud of you. I didn't get the chance to read your goals before I left so I didn't know you were doing a marathon on Sat. You should've told me. I think I learned a lot about myself to. Instead of taking the normal 8-12 weeks to train I took about 15-16 and learned that as long as I gradually build up my mileage I can do it. I learned that after about six miles, I need to drink one of those gels of energy though to help out.
Good new years goals. So I'm planning on finishing the B of M by conference too, do you have a schedule or are you just reading however much you can each day?

Shelley Goodman said...

I am so proud of you!I really am. That is not easy to do and not everybody can do that (me included). You are my inspiration. I wont hate you because you have on skinny strecthy pants that make you look like a pencil. Or that you look fab like you didn't just roll out of bed and look prettier then the days I do get ready.

Jenna said...

Ok didn't you just start running a few months ago? How can you already run 13 miles? Way to go Jennifer! That's awesome! Em told me she was running too. I would never be able to do that. I do three miles on my elliptical and i thought that was good. Are you just a twig now or what? Looks like it. I Would be about 80 pounds if I ran like that!!! So maybe I'll stick to my cookies and pizza! Haha. I hear all the health nuts are going to feel stupid one day lying in hospital beds dying of nothing:)

Wendy Kay Photography said...

WOW Jenni! You are awesome! Way to go! Idk how you do it, i absolutely hate running! Love ya!!!

Amy said...

Today you win the prize for coolest person I know! You are awesome, awesome, awesome.

Stephanie Evans said...

And you looked stinkin' cute to boot... even in the AFTER pictures. Only you. :) Way to go Miss Runner. You and Jess are crazy amazing. I'm pretty sure I would have walked. I'm not that motivated. Nice to check off a resolution in January!

Anonymous said...

Jake was so smart to send you that video! That is the best motivation ever. I did a half marathon a couple of years ago and you are right it does teach you so much about yourself and we are a lot stronger than we think. You totally rock!

P.S. - How are your legs? I walked funny for two days after my half marathon! ;)

Cicily said...

Of course you look amazing after 13 miles! You are the best, so proud of you girls.

Ginger said...

So Proud of you and the others Jenni! You totally rock! I am very impressed.