Tuesday, June 12, 2012

7 weeks

Summer is in full swing around these parts.
(by parts I mean the Phoenix metro area)
( I felt like I should specify... The word "parts" can be sketchy)

108 degrees and torched skin are only a tidbit of the summer story though.

Lazy days filled with swimming (anywhere we can mooch a swim) and warm peaches off of my parents trees.
(Ahhhh)
(Warm fuzzy peaches make me drool.)
(a good craving drool, not a gross drool)

The fact that we can wake up slowly
( aka stay in our pj's way too long)
and plan our days around swim lessons, gymnastics, Netflix watching, and/or exploring a new pool is the bomb!
We also tackle the big issues... like if we should eat lunch or just snack before and after our fun.
(Just the important things)
(ya know?)

Summer makes me more spontaneous too.
(which is something I typically am not)
The lack of rigid schedules allows us to just live everyday the way we want.
The simple life is super cool.
Especially since summer is only 6.5 weeks around here.
( I successfully avoided the word parts)

We do have occasional complaints of boredom and sibling squabbles.
( like caged, bored animals sharing space and food)
(except it's out if school children fighting for the last cookie and the laptop)

I do have a "secret weapon" for those looong hot afternoons.
I tried it last summer, but I didn't put the effort into it that I should've.
(the summer lazies got hold of me)
This year I forgot about this ditty until Shelley sent me a blog link and the blogger wrote about them.
(hooray for the reminder!)

Summer stations are officially in swing at our casa every day during Macy's naptime.
Everyone loves them.
I think even that small reminder of schedule helps them remember the familiarity of our "usual" life.
(I also feel less guilt about all of our fun... If we balance it with organized fun... And school work)

I am also in a complete dinner rut.
After being free willy all day, thinking about making a meal... A hot meal for that matter.... Makes me wanna announce for the 300th time in a month, "we are having turkey sandwiches again!"
( which could easily be substituted with bean burros)
I don't think most of us care too much, but I do feel bad that Jake eats turkey sandwiches for lunch daily too.

Somedays I unlazy long enough to whip up a pasta salad.
(which could easily be substituted with a 7 layer dip or a fruit salad)

Any good summer ideas that won't require a special grocery store trip?

In summary, we are living life in the slow lane, although days seem to be going fast.

Long live summer.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Summer easy recipes: hawaiian haystacks, crockpot bbq beef, southwest chicken salad, "fancy" quesadillas (that means make them on the griddle instead of the micro), chicken lime soup, freezer raviolis or tortellini & sauce of choice, chef salad, strawberry spinach salad, "bean dinner" (deluxe nacho/frito pie-ish thing), italian chicken (crock pot), sloppy joes

All of the above take less than 20 minutes to your table (if you started the crock pot in the morning) and will be eaten by my children. If you want a recipe, ask and I'll "e" it over.

So jealous of your summer slow days. One more week for us until it begins!

Amy said...

And tell me more about centers?