Tuesday, March 18, 2014

marital bliss



Toothpaste tubes are not a typical discussion around people.
this is true.
You may find this post pointless.
I however, want to remember and giggle about this in years from now.
so i write.
Although not typical conversation pieces, at our house, early on in our marriage, Jake and I had " the conversation."
You see, I am a middle of the tube squeezer.
It is so rewarding to just squeeze the tube all willy nilly and put a perfect crest commercial line of paste on my brush.
every time.
Jake, on the other hand, is the opposite of middle squeezer. 
He is an end squeezer. 
He smooths his tube of toothpaste with poise and purpose each and every time.
He uses the end of the bathroom counter to round up every last bit of minty goodness before putting the tube back into its position in the medicine cabinet.
I can respect his methods. 
I just am not willing to forfeit my middle squeeze.
Soooo, as a compromise, we have had our own tubes of toothpaste for years.
Its no biggie.
It has worked well for us.
Well, a few weeks ago, my toothpaste tube ran dry.
I was too lazy for a few days to climb up to the year supply box marked "toothpaste" and get myself a new tube.
{pregnant lady problems}
So, obvs, I just used Jakes toothpaste.
I didn't try to be stealthy.
I really didn't think anything of it.
The next time Jake went to brush his teeth, he was forlorn.
Did you use my toothpaste and squeeze from the middle?
I giggled and fessed up to my theft.
He then gave me a quick reminder course of squeezing from the end… and gave me his blessing to continue the toothpaste use until I chose to get my own tube.
My middle squeezing continued, despite the lesson on end squeezing.
{rebellious person am I}
Well, after a few kind, "squeezing from the end is so much better" comments, I opened the medicine cabinet to find this….
I laughed so hard.
Not only did he make the time to hide his toothpaste, but he found an index card…and a sharpie… folded the card perfectly in half ...and hand wrote a little note… with a smiley face.
I called him at work and told him that he had definitely made my day better.
{hilarious man}
I finally did go get my new toothpaste tube.
But, I decided to use his own weapons against him.
Being the easy going guy that he is, he refused to say a word about the tp situation.
It was 10pm when he noticed it was gone. I had just climbed into bed… and was giggling to myself about my "wanna be jokes".
He walked, without a word, into the laundry room and grabbed himself a new roll.
I burst out laughing as he walked back into the bedroom heading toward the bathroom.
He laughed too.
Now we were even.
Just another day in paradise.





2 comments:

Stephanie Evans said...

Love this. Totally made my day. Especially how you wrote it. I love the fun way that you phrase things and write. And Trav and I are totally the same. I feel it goes against my general personality, but I love good, free spirited, middle squeeze. Trav is a loyal, die hard end squeezer. Somehow we still share a tube. Don't know why. Maybe we should adopt your idea! :)

Unknown said...

Hahaha! This goes on in my house too. There is just something so freeing about the middle squeeze. ;) You're haven't lived until you squeeze from the middle. Jared has given up trying to make me squeeze from the end. ;)