Tooth losing has always been a huge milestone for kids.
Once that first tooth pops out, you are now part of an entirely new "club".
{the cool kids club}
When I was in kindergarten, my teacher gave each student who lost a tooth a special tooth shaped plastic necklace.
{It was remarkable}
I would stare at other peoples necklaces and turn completely green with envy.
In hopes of being gifted a necklace, I tried to wiggle my teeth, hoping that one may have even a slight movement.
{they NEVER did}
It was nearly the end of the kindergarten year and I knew something HAD to happen fast if I was going to get my tooth shaped jewelry.
SO I sat looking in the mirror at my teeth and I realized something...
I had a space between my lower baby teeth that kinda resembled a hole where a baby tooth could have been.
{maybe I could just say I lost a tooth, show my friends my space and then wear my plastic tooth with pride}
SO the next day I walked into my classroom announcing to the world that I had lost a tooth.
I showed my surprised friends.
I pointed it out to my patient teacher.
I made an amazing story about how I lost it.
I knew they were all buying what I was selling.
My teacher did the tooth necklace presentation in front of my class.
I was so glad to wear it around my neck.
I probably stroked it all morning.
During recess, I sat on the side of the playground near my teacher.
{i didn't want to lose my necklace in the sand}
{and i was getting sick of trying to remember how I "lost" my tooth}
My darling, patient teacher looked at me and said with loads of sweetness, "you didn't really lose a tooth. Did you?"
I cracked at the first sign of disbelief.
I told her the entire truth.
{with 6 year old girl tears of regret}
I gave her back the tooth necklace.
{ which really didn't make me as happy as I thought it would}
{since it really shouldn't have been mine}
I walked back to class necklace free.
{but somehow I felt better than I had all morning}
And I decided to just wait until my teeth decided to fall out.
{It was almost an entire year later until I joined the "lost a tooth" club}
After watching my girls wait until 1st grade to have the tooth fairy come for a visit, I could relate to their frequent requests for me to "just see if it's wiggly".
Not so with my Crewser.
Well, a few weeks ago, Crew told me he didn't want to eat crunchy things anymore.
{ooookay?}
Finally I figured out it must be because he was having a tooth issue.
I reached into his little mouth and realized a front tooth was barely hanging on.
He was nervous/ excited.
The girls were flabbergasted.
"BUT HE IS NOT EVEN IN KINDERGARTEN YET!!"
{jealous anyone?}
He lost his first tooth with only a small effort by Jake and the tooth next door decided to pop out only 2 days later.
I may have some kind of psychological issues from my tooth losing experience, but when he smiles his toothless little grin at me, he could get away with anything.
{melts my heart!!}
He will walk up to me throughout the day and ask, "you love this smile mom?"
{to which i must respond, "YES I DO" with a giant squeeze}
My handsome toothless boy.
{now i should search the web and buy both of us plastic tooth necklaces}


No comments:
Post a Comment