Wednesday, January 13, 2010

{time travel}

I remembered something today.
...as I looked through my cd case that I haven't opened in months...
{hooray for ipods}



I go through phases with my music. I was hardcore into rap, hip hop, and R&B for most of 1999.
{anything on Power 92}
"You can do it put your back into it...." {ya, it was cool then.}
That all changed during the end of '99 and the start of 2000.
{My life revolved around boy bands}
Don't judge me. I still love them.
You know, N*sync, Backstreet, LFO, Evan and Jaron, Westlife, amd a few more that I can't even remember anymore.
If you don't recognize most of those groups, that probably means you are cool.
During the Spring of 2000, I had my first "official" boyfriend.
{he had been Stephanie's boyfriend only a few months earlier}
{Us friends were like that. Leftovers = no problemo}
Anyway, because of my love for all things boy band, b.f. took me to a concert in Peoria.
My favorite group {that month} was going to be there.
Westlife.
I was beyond thrillled.
When I read the tickets, I realized that several other performers would also be there.
{I didn't care. Westlife forever baby.}
While waiting for Westlife to take the stage, we listened to other people, saw a lot of drunk people, and I saw more lesbians making out than I'd ever care to see again.
The MC introduces "Enrique Eglasias" as the next performer.
{I scoff}
My highly trained rap ears {ha, hah}couldn't listen to this "spanish pop guy"
{Boy did I eat my words}
So, out walks Enrique. He was VERY good looking {to a 17 year old girl} and he sang like an angel.
{did I mention that he could really dance all latin-like}
After one song, I couldn't remember b.f.'s name.
After three songs, I was drooling.
Then he pulled some lady up on stage.
{a slightly over weight hispanic woman...that had mostly stalked him for years}
I don't blame her.
Enrique sang the next song TO HER.
{she was crying}
Enrique full on kissed her...on the mouth.
{I was jealous}
I don't remember what song it was, but I decided that I was stopping at Wal-mart THAT night to purchase a cd.
{to re-live that day over and over...and learn a few latin dance moves}
I don't recall anything about Westlife.
{I am sure they performed well.}
As I saw all 4 of my Enrique cd's {one in spanish} sitting there all dustyish in my cd case, I pulled them out and gave them a listen.
{the man is a latin genius}
My love for latin pop hasn't died....as the boy bands have.
{except for you Justin Timberlake...hold strong)

Viva Enrique, Shakira, Ricky, Mana.....

7 comments:

Colette Goodman said...

My all time favorite memories with you is "Happy *NSYNC 2000!" Going to Walmart at 5am to get the new CD. Anytime I hear all the boy bands I think of you girls. Good Times!

Ginger said...

You crack me up!

Stephanie Evans said...

I have a deep, abiding love for all things {boy band} and my man Enrique. I always associate him with road trips to Cali. I had not known the origins of your love for him. If Todd had only known what he was doing :) I'm glad you used the word "leftovers". That made me laugh my head off. Hilarious post.

Shelley Goodman said...

Oh Jenni, you can run you can hide but you can't escape my love:)

Got the pattern for our upcoming craft! I will send details soon on what supplies you need to get. I am hoping by Sat. if not Sunday.

Cicily said...

I too, have a deeply rooted love for the hip-hop/rap, I don't think I will ever outgrow that. I am glad though that the boy bands came just after my high school years, but oh were they a treat.

Leah Martineau said...

lol......well I'm with you I love my boy bands and Enrique was hot and I STILL listen to his songs!!! The more I read your post, the more I realize we have lots in common.

ps tell Shelley i'm offended that I was not invited to a craft night!!!!! What the biz......=)

Adam and Jess said...

I'd have to agree with basically all of these comments. I still listen to Enrique and remember "camping" out to get the new N*Sync cd at the butt crack of dawn, GOOD TIMES!!! Man I love you girls.