It was summer 2004.
Life was sweet.
Ashlinn was 6 months old and we were eating up being parents.
Jake and I knew we wanted another baby.
{and soon}
We hoped maybe our rugrats would be no more than 2 years apart.
But I wasn't expecting a pregnancy anytime soon, since I was nursing.
A few weeks later I felt the familiar fatigue and massive hunger.
{oh, that blasted never. ending. hunger}
I had a guess what might be causing these symptoms.
And I bought a test.
{when Jake wasn't home}
'cuz I wanted to keep this a secret for a while.
{And bask in my own joy.}
The test came out positive.
I was prego with baby number 2.
I hid all evidence of my days news.
And my honey bunz came home.
I guess I was smiling a devious, guilty, telling smile.
Jake took one look at me and said, "YOU"RE PREGNANT!"
I was shocked.
How did he know?
"You're smile was so big it could only be one thing."
And then he told everyone on the planet within minutes.
{secrets are not his strong suite}
My belly began growing and I didn't get nearly as sick as with my first pregnancy.
{just far more tired}
It took 2 ultrasounds to find out her gender.
{she was a bit shy...or playful}
I was thrilled to know we were having a girl.
Every girl needs a sister.
We knew her name before we went to the ultrasound.
Hallie.
There were a million things going on at that time.
I was stressed.
Jake gave me a priesthood blessing on an especially hard day.
In that blessing he told me that Hallie would be a joy to my life and make me smile everyday.
I felt something special about her.
During the final months of my pregnancy, we sold our house.
{And hadn't found another one}
I needed to plan a nursery.
Or at least a place to lay my head.
My mom and I searched every day for our house.
{I was huge prego}
After some fervent, pleading prayers, we drove up to "our" house on a rainy day.
It was not what we were looking for, but it was perfect for what we needed.
The house was vacant and we were able to move in right away.
{even before our loan closed}
{Heavenly Father poured out more than we asked for}
I carried box after box up flights of stairs in a 4 story house.
{ok, I had some help :)}
Two weeks after we moved in, I began having contractions.
Jake and I rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night.
{and were sent home by morning}
Then a few days later, Jake got a frantic call at work.
"Somethings not right, we need to get to the hospital now"
He drove the 1 hour home.
{With me pacing the hallways the entire time}
We went to the hospital.
{and were sent home by dinner}
By the second time, I was embarassed.
I decided not to go back until I saw a head coming out.
{that way I'd be sure}
After we had been sent home and a few sleepless nights, I was wiped out.
My contractions felt real.
I couldn't sleep through them.
I called the hospital and asked if I could come pick up a sleeping pill, so I could get some sleep before being induced in the morning.
We drove down and the nurse looked at my pitiful self and admitted me.
I had gone into real labor...without knowing it.
And Hallie was on her way.
5 hours later, I was holding a dark haired, chubby, olive skinned, DARLING, baby girl.
The moment when both of my girls and Jake and I all sat on that hospital bed, I was overcome with joy.
{I had more than I could ever wish for}
{and smiled the very first of my daily Hallie smiles}
November= Lots of Birthday Boys
1 day ago
3 comments:
I want a {Hallie}. She is a doll. A true girlie girl. Love her smile.
OK, I still crack up when I think about your nursing "birth control". So funny that you thought that! I'm surprised your doctor didn't discuss birth control at your postpartum appt. But I guess it was a good thing!!
I love that you're sharing these stories, so fun to look back and remember them. That cute little "Hallie Smile" is all you need to brighten up your day! Love Her!
Are you saying if I were to follow in your footsteps I would be pregnant right now?! You are amazing!
Post a Comment