The phone rang on Friday morning May 21st.
It was the morning after I had been at urgent care with Crew for the burns on his arm, after I had been up late emailing case workers, and while I was trying to get my mountain of laundry done, while trying to make Tate keep his pants on.
I answered the phone like every other phone call.
It was "our lady" at AASK.
The call went something like this...
"Jenni, I have some news for you. I went to court yesterday with one of my clients and both of her parents rights were terminated. I was thinking that you would be the perfect family for her. {long pause} She is 6 months old. Adorable and sweet. She isn't hitting all of her milestones due to 3 months of withdraw and drug dependency. Also, she is African- American..."
She kept on talking.
I stopped her mid sentence.
My heart was pounding.
My eyes were filling.
"Yes, our answer is yes!"
There was something about that call.
{an instant feeling}
The same feeling you get when you find out you are pregnant.
"Our lady" went on, "I never usually go to court, but I did. It was a surprise that the rights were terminated. Nobody expected it. As soon as I heard the decision, I thought of your family. I told her case worker and foster family about you. Of course we need to do all kinds of paperwork and get approvals and the entire process. I will let you know when I hear anything."
I hung up shaking and filled with incredible joy.
Just then Jake walked into the house.
{In the middle of a Friday morning.}
I got to tell him the news in person.
He got "the smile" and hugged me tight.
We decided to wait to tell people until we got more details about her arrival.
I kept telling myself not to get my hopes too high. I know that setbacks could happen.
I just tried to be open and want what Heavenly Father wants for us and her.
On Sunday it was the Gila Valley Temple dedication.
I went to church, which was a temple for the day, and sat next to my Honey.
{that hasn't happened at church in a while ;)}
I watched President Monson,
In the back of my mind praying for a confirmation that this baby girl is sopposed come to our home.
During our Prophets talk, he changed topic for a second.
He told about how he was able to perform the first sealing of an Afrcan American family.
He described at how he looked around the alter as they were kneeling.
As he said this, my heart burned.
I could see it too.
But it was my family, with a little chocolate brown face there with us.
I looked at Jake.
His eyes were a little watery too.
A few minutes later President Monson said, "I don't believe in coincidence."
It hit me.
After church we realized it was time to tell our parents about Macy.
They were thrilled for us, of course.
{it is a gift grandparents have}
I loved every minute of Sunday.
Jake was home all day.
We played on the tramp in the most gorgeous May weather I have ever met.
I felt extreme peace.
On Monday, my phone rang again.
I had been staring at it waiting for it to ring all morning with news.
It was my mom.
" Jenni, what is her name? I told her. You won't believe this, but Macy and her foster family live in Lisa's {my older sisters} ward. Lisa is good friends with her foster mom."
I felt the burn of "non- coincidence" in my heart.
I know foster mom has been praying for Macy to find a family.
A good, LDS family.
A family that will love her.
A family that can hardly sleep at night thinking about meeting her and holding her.
{that is us}
Heavenly Father answered our prayers and hers.
The first time I saw a picture of her it was unreal.
Not only is she gorgeous, but I feel like I have seen her before.
Like I promised her I would be her mommy sometime before.
No matter how her brain works or what color her skin is...I would love her and keep her safe and help her get back to Heavenly Father.
My arms ached to hold her....and kiss the nook of her neck.
On June 5th 2010, we met Macy for the first time.
She was even more beautiful than her picture.
She had the most gorgeous sparkling eyes and million dollar smile.
I was in l.o.v.e.
I kept telling myself not to get too attatched.
We didn't know the final outcome of her case.
{but even when I tried to talk myself out of loving her, I couldn't}
She began coming over each week for visits.
Each member of our family fell in love with her over 3 months.
We were anxious about the process and being so smitten we had to be careful about our hopes, but we had very specific promptings that she would be coming to our family.
so we continued to plan.
{there are some things you just know}
Over 3 months of prayer, fasting, and waiting, I saw several miracles happen in front of me.
Today, I sat at the court building holding Macy.
I heard several people on her "team" discussing her future.
I had been praying for her case managers heart to be softened to see the Lords will.
{it was}
Before we even got into the court room, they had made a plan.
{to let her come home}
{our home}
Forever.
I was in shock as the judge approved the plan.
I was in awe at the change of heart.
Heavenly Father is amazing.
He had performed a miracle.
None of it "by the book"
He leads us exactly where we need to be at the right time.
And blesses us beyond what we can imagine.
I left with foster mom and Macy.
{with tears of gratitude in my eyes}
{and on my cheeks}
I was able to call Jake and give him incredible, unexpected news.
We have a baby girl.
She will be coming home within the next week.
Macy Jayne Willis is on her way.
November= Lots of Birthday Boys
1 day ago
7 comments:
I am incredibly happy for your family! Congratulations!!
I love that little girl! Congrats mama!
I can't wait to see that adorable chocolate brown face! What a perfect miracle.
What a wonderful blessing for Macy and your family! You guys are such an inspiration! I am so happy for this little girl to become a member of your cute family! Can't wait to see pictures of your little cutie!!
Wow Jen. I'm glad I got to read the whole story. You tell stories well to say the least. I think you should win some award at the 10 year reunion for having the most kids :) I feel quite small as I worry about having a second while you have a fifth. She is a lucky lady to have you as a mom. You must have a gift.
So....happy for you and little Macy. She is so blessed to have found her way into your amazing family. I love hearing your tender words of love for her already. I can't wait to get to know her.
Tell us when you get her!! We are waiting for the day you have permission to put her little face on her for us. She'll be so big by the time we meet her. Maybe if you don't feed her much......
Post a Comment