Tuesday, October 13, 2009

{dear birth mother}

Dear Birth Mother,
     I sit here writing this letter to you, because I cannot lay on my pillow tonight without expressing my gratitude for you. You are the one who carried and gave birth to my son. You are the one who genetically gave him those big brown eyes and that sweet smile. You are the one that knew your own limitations and put him into foster care voluntarily. You loved him enough to stop fighting and give him to a family that will love and cherish him forever. Because of your choice I am able to hold this little man and cry, knowing that he will not leave. Although I have never met you, I can see the greatest parts of you through him.
    I know today may be one of the hardest days of your life and there is nothing I can say to comfort you. At least I can tell you about the love I have for this little boy. It is unreal. It is a mothers love. Because I feel this love, I know a piece of your hurt. I promise that my love for him will never go away. Thank you for this gift that I can never repay.
                                                        With gratitude,
                                                     Crew's mommy

4 comments:

Stephanie Evans said...

I take it the court date went well? :) I'm so happy for you. I have a friend who is currently going through the adoption process with their first child and she wrote a post about how much she admires a birth mom's courage in giving up their child. She actually miscarried in the tenth month of her first pregnancy and knows what it feels like to the leave the hospital childless. I can't fathom doing it. I truly can't. Crew looks so happy in your family. It was meant to be.

Annell said...

We're so happy for your family and Crew. We're also happy for our family to be able to play with Crew and be a part of his life! I think we need to take pics with them in wife-beaters every 6 months.

Anonymous said...

OKAY! Didn't I just TELL you that I am extremely EMO and every little thing makes me cry. Then you go and post this letter and I'm bawling my EYES out and I still can't stop crying! Thanks Jenni. You have a gift of being able to express your feelings and make others understand perfectly.

Oh....and by the way....CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW WILLIS BOY!!!!! ;)

The Garrison Family said...

It's a good thing you wrote that before 9pm or else it could have gone a totally different way. lol
You know I love your family so so much! What a sweet letter. And of course it made me cry! Thanks :(