I love mothers day.
I love the homeade cards .
The breakfast in bed when I'm still "sleeping".
( or at least still in bed, relishing the tiny voices " helping" dad)
I love the talks and musical numbers at church.
I love being reminded of my sacred duty.
I treasure the day to think of my mom ( and jakes) and all they have given in the name of motherhood .
I love being given chocolate at church!
I'm a fan of the whole enchilada!
But for the past 3 years, I have also thought a lot about birth moms who have blessed my life.
Ladies who sacrificed and chose to bring beautiful babies into the world.
And yet on this day are empty handed.
When mine are full.
I feel overwhelmingly grateful... And I have no way to thank them.
Yesterday, the Saturday before mothers day, I was at walmart with my 3 little girlies .
As we checked out, the young checker asked, " you have adopted the little one?"
"yes". I smiled in response
( this is not an uncommon question)
She got a little serious and spilled a bit of her story.
She told me how she had recently given her baby girl up for adoption.
She told me how much courage it took to make that choice and how tough it will be to get through mothers day knowing of her baby, without any evidence of her.
I felt tears coming in the midst of the stinky, crowded walmart.
After commending her bravery, I told her of my mothers day prayer for birth moms and my daily gratitude for how they have eternally blessed me.
I wanted to talk longer , but the 6 man deep line following me wouldn't allow it.
I wished her a very sincere " happy mothers day!" and walked away with my 3 darlings .
I said a prayer of gratitude as I walked to the car. Thank you for sending me through that checkout.
I recounted the incident with Jake and I could barely spill out my words, I was so touched with Heavenly Fathers kindness.
A few hours later we were headed to the temple for date night.
We planned on doing a session, but with the time restrictions we had, we needed to find another way to serve.
We walked up to the sealing office, and before we could say a word, the white robed man at the desk said,
"yes! We can use your help!"
( with a wrinkled twinkly smile)
Jake and I changed into our whites and were in the sealing room within minutes .
We learned that a brother in the room had brought in family names, almost all children being sealed to their parents.
As I knelt in proxy for daughters and mothers, it occurred to me that this mothers day there are mothers on the other side who now have their babies for eternity.
I ate up every second of having the chance and blessing of offering this service.
A mothers day gift of gratitude to my Father in Heaven as well as to those other mothers.
Heavenly Father heard and answers prayers.
And although I may never have the chance on earth to thank the 2 birth moms who gave so much for my sweethearts, the Lord will give me ways to repay the remarkable gift to other moms.
And be sure I never forget the truly amazing gift (of 5 little babes) that I am lucky enough to have forever.
November= Lots of Birthday Boys
1 day ago
1 comment:
I love that you are kind enough to recognize, no matter what their story, the sacrifice of those moms. Sweet mercy in the walmart line!
Post a Comment