Sunday, February 7, 2010

Goodbye sad curtains, you will not be missed.

Jake left on a "man trip" with all his men family members {uncles, dad, nephews, cousins, bro-in-laws} on Thursday.
Because I don't like to sleep without him, I planned projects to do while the rest of my family was sleeping.

Project number 1 & 2:  the family room : "Merry and Bright"
 Do you see that dark paint that makes you feel sad and those droopy dog-ear curtains that make you feel grumpy...those had to go.

I put my sweet kiddos to bed at 7pm and began the painting fiasco.
from this to this...
A nice medium brown.
 {aren't I daring}

I painted until around midnight and my family room, dining room, and kitchen got a new color scheme.

Day 2 was curtain time.
I found my fabric at JoAnn's and I knew right when I saw it, that it was mine
{with my 40% off coupon that is}
A friend of mine had sent me a link to a blog that had a tutorial for these curtains..super easy.
I sewed while the girls were at school, Tate napped, and Thomas  {the train} babysat Crew.
LOVE!

Merry and Bright: Mission accomplished


{matching slip covers for the pillows...an added bonus}



{More finishing decor ..on its way.}

Project 3: Kitchen : spunk it up

With the new paint color, the sign that was hanging above my kitchen window was the wrong color, I needed something with personality.
I had a frame that used to house a mirror.
{no longer}



Spunk it up complete.

{dollars cost: $2}


Project 4: Use 2 year old vinyl I purchased at Quilted Bear {when it was still in Mesa} and never put to use.


Hello FHE board!

Project 5: Tate's birthday cake.

I had never made a "special" cake for my kids b-day, just the regular kind.
After reading my friend Jessica's blog, I realized I could step it up a notch {or 7}|
I planned on "piping" a basketball cake.
{you know the fun white bags with the decoritive tips}

Apparently my frosting wasn't the right consistency, because after making adorable star shapes in an orangey/brown all over, it melted into this...

Wow!
This might not be my calling in life.

After adding som grey stripes, it looked edible, at least.

When Tate saw it, he was thrilled.
{that was all I hoped for}

I am so glad Jake is home now, so I can finally sleep again.

Happy crafting!


11 comments:

Stephanie Evans said...

Oh my cuteness! You are hilarious with your "grumpy" curtains. I didn't think you're house could get any cuter... think again!! :) It's good to stay busy when your mind runs away with every little creak in the house. How did the boobie traps work out?

Jenna said...

Jen it looks really good! Good job on your sewing projects! I'm in the project mood too. I'm redoing/ adding to denims room. It's going to be fabulous:-) I made some pillows and curtains the other day. The shelf I have some guy custom making... It so reminds me of something you'd love. Hopefully i finish it all in the next few weeks and I'll post some pictures! Oh and just get a dog
to sleep by you when Jakes gone, you know u want to.

Shannon said...

I love all of it! Your so talented....and I know how you feel about the cake. I'm sure that would happen to me, and my cake would be nasty b/c I can't bake.

Amy said...

This is one of the times I AM glad I live far away from you because everyone would look at my house and look at your house and know exactly where the cute and clever genes went in the family! I am inspired to paint--thanks Jenni!

Ginger said...

Way cute Jenni! You truly are amazing!

Annell said...

Love those curtains!! I may copy your FHE board. I've been trying to figure out a cute way to do one. The basketball was awesome, too. I'm glad your orange turned out.

Cicily said...

For reals, can I shadow you for a day? How the crap do you get all this stuff done? I'm so impressed you are pretty much Wonder Woman.

the Robinsons said...

Holy Smokes Jenny! They were only gone for 2 days. All I accomplisshed were a few bows and a clean house, and I only have 2 kids. I don't know how you do it!!

Kristi said...

Amazing Jen! Hooray for DIY!

Adam and Jess said...

SO adorable! DANG GINA. You should've been an interior decorator. I'm NOT even exaggerating. Your whole house looks amazing, and now your kitchen and great room look even better. Let's just say that everytime I see something new in your house, I picture the same thing in mine.. in a good, non-coveting way:) I can't believe you got so much accomplished in one weekend! I love to paint, but man...

Adam and Jess said...

P.S I've been wanting to make some curtains for our house and saw the same ones you made a while ago, actually I think in Bettina's house. I don't have a pattern for them, but do you think you could send me that link. They don't look overwhelming. (Where do you keep all your crafts when you replace them? It's like you need a storage room just for that;))