Friday, April 20, 2012

The list.

We had several months ... Maybe years... of comments like this..

Kids-
"what's for dinner/lunch/breakfast?"

I always answer with something delicious , healthy, and homeade.
(of course)
wink wink.

Kids-
" uhhhhh, I don't like that!!"

Me-
Feel hurt, angry, or the need to make them eat it anyway.
Sometimes all 3.

So I came up with a plan.
Or I may have heard it somewhere?

Each child got to choose 2 items to put on "their list".
These items they never have to eat.
Ever.
Not even " no thank you bites."

I figured this is fair since I have food that I refuse to eat.
(just like most everyone)

All food, not on "their list" , they would either eat it or face predescribed consequence... For instance... Go to bed early, eat it for the next meal, get no snacks during the day. Etc.

The list has changed my life.

Whenever someone makes a negative comment about what we are having, all I have to say is, " oh, is this on your list?"
They already know the answer.

My kiddos have tried several things they may have never tried before "the list"... And... Wait for it... Liked them!

( there have also been early to bed nights and no snack days,but they are getting fewer)

It may surprise you what made it on "the list".
It definitely surprised me that not a single vegetable was included on the kids list.
(Since Jake has squash on his list and I have beets on mine.)

Small list... Big help.


2 comments:

Amy said...

I love "the list"! We have had a no thank you dinner for years. That means each child picks a dinner they do not love and each time I serve that meal, they get to have something else - no complaining or hassle. I think I like the list better, though. Then it's not the whole meal, it's just the chicken or tomatoes, or curry noodles. thanks for another good suggestion.

Adam and Jess said...

I like this idea. I can't believe grilled cheese, mac n' cheese and German pancakes made it to the list.