Friday, September 4, 2009

Trains 101

As I laid in bed after meeting Crew for the first time, I realized how much my two boys both love their daddy.
They will need to share...that won't go well with my Tater.
I thought and thought about a way I could get our family to bond together.
Then in the quiet of the night, an idea that was too good to be my own came into my head.
{BUY A TRAIN SET!}
Okay. That seemed logical enough. Crew LOVES trains...especially Thomas and friends. We could all play trains together.
I popped out of bed and started searching the web.
Thomas...you are the most expensive tiny wooden objects ever.
I asked my sister Meggan about them (her son Titan is in love with Thomas too) and she told me about the cheaper tracks that still fit Thomas...yes!
I told Jake of my plan and he agreed.

When we picked up Crew from foster mom's, he was happy to see us. He remembered who we were...that's good.
We put some shoes on him and buckled our son into his carseat in our car. We planned to go to the park and play, but we got lost...and ran into Toys R Us. We wandered through the store looking at everything while he held our hands...his choice.
Then we got to the "Thomas" section. He let go of our hands and ran toward the train table they have set up in there. His smile was HUGE! I looked at Jake and looked at the merchandise that he LOVED. He grabbed this one Thomas that has lights and sounds and carried it under his arm. It was time to take the leap ointo  being parents to an almost 3 year old boy. (I think from what I hear, that means buying train stuff) So we picked out the track and 4 trains. The look on Crews face was priceless.
I still can't show a full face pic. on the web...just clips.

After the toy store we went and got an ice cream cone. When he saw the McDonalds sign, he started saying..."Ice Cream store...I see Ice cream store...Ice cream." (we took that as a hint that he likes ice cream)
He made a 3 year old mess with the ice cream, while we just smiled. These are the little things we have missed over the past 2 1/2 years...we are soaking up whatever we can.

After ice cream it was time to go back to "grandmas" (foster mom). We walked him inside and he asked us to swing him in the backyard. We did, but when I went to say goodbye, he screamed...kicking his legs...crying. He threw his prized Thomas that we just bought on the ground and reached for us.   Foster mom stepped in, but he wanted us.  (what kid wouldn't want to go to a toy store and buy everything you want and then get ice cream?)
 That's how we left on day 2.  Hopefully soon we won't have to leave anymore.


We picked up our other kids and after their bath, (hence the messy hair) we put together the new train set. I couldn't believe how much they all loved it. Tate seems like he was made to play with trains.

Crew comes to our home and meets brother and sisters for the first time today...I hope the trains do their job.

4 comments:

Adam and Jess said...

You will be good to go with trains, I assure you. Yes, they are expensive (this was where grandparents came in too) but we did what Meggan said, generic tracks with some generic trains and Thomas trains are a treat. You made me misty too with your last post. It will be good to have those memories written down so well.

Jenna said...

I never did the train thing.......i just made mine go outside lol. But that seems like a great idea since he loves them.. And from that semi kind of a picture shot of Crew-He looks like Ashlinns twin. That is so awesome!!

said...

This is SO exciting!!! I'm so excited for you guys! He's SO cute! You are doing such a great job!!! How much longer until you can stop leaving him and bring him home? The train was a great idea...

Ginger said...

If you need any other tips on Thomas and friends, let me know. Carson has been obsessed for quite a while.