Constructive critism.
A few days ago Macy and I were at TJMaxx.
There was a beautiful african american woman there.
She watched Macy and I for a little while from a distance.
After a moment she came and said hello and then asked if Macy was my daughter.
After I said "yes", she asked me in more of a statement than a question, "you don't know what to do with her hair, do you?"
I was kinda schocked.
{I really thought I was doing a great job}
Yes, her hair was a tad bit muffs that day, but we had been a bunch of places, including the park, and that happens.
She touched Macy's hair and then told me, "you definitely need to find better hair cream for her and do some braids, twists, or another protective hairstyle."
I absorbed her opinions , thanked her, and decided to look into these "protective hair styles"
After some youtube time, I now know why her hair isn't growing a ton and why the lady gave me the advice she did.
In order for her hair to hold in moisture and not break off, she needs twists, braids, and other protective and stretching hairstyles.
I also researched the best natural hair products for her level of "texture" and went and made the purchases.
This morning I creamed up her head with the new moisture products and then began my styling.
{Her hair was almost immediately softer.
She ended up with a head full of barrettes and twists.
{so darling}
{and so ethnic}
{and she loved the sounds the clips made when she shook her head}
As we ran errands today, I had one african american woman compliment her hair and hairstyle.
{she looked confused when I said I had done it}
{apparently youtube is an amazing teacher}
Today I am grateful for people who tell me like it is when I am not doing it right.
{and don't even know it}
And the endless resources that there are to learn.
{my next goal is cornrows}
{youtube ... and Macy better gear up for me}
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment